Golden Berry Coffee Cake
Ingredients6-10 servings based upon serving size
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 teaspoons salt
10 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk (or regular milk soured with lemon juice or vinegar)
1 large egg
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups Sun Belle golden berries
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Instructions1. Preheat oven to 325° F (160ºC)
2. Butter and flour a 9" (25 cm) cake pan. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix in butter until is blended with flour.
4. Remove 1 cup of flour & butter mixture into a second bowl and set aside to use later for topping.
5. Add baking powder and baking soda to flour mixture and whisk gently. Add buttermilk, egg, and vanilla and stir until white flour is not seen. Lumps are ok. If the butter is still chunky continue mixing until slightly lumpy or smooth.
6. Pour flour mixture into 9” cake pan. Place golden berries over the top. Then add brown sugar and cinnamon to your small bowl of flour that was set aside. Stir and sprinkle over the top. The thicker it is the better.
7. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick comes out crumby, but clean. If the cake top begins to look too dark apply foil over the top of your pan and continue baking. Remove from oven and cool for a minimum of 15 minutes in the pan. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving